Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Joy of Sharing Travel

For me, love of travel did not begin with a captivating visit to an unknown land. That came later. Rather, it began with repeated stops at the familiar public library when I was around nine or ten years old. To keep kids out of trouble during summer vacation, the local library offered a "Read Around the World" program. Each participant received a world map with a star added to every country we read a book about. I don't recall any of the books I read for that program, but my map was covered with stars. Those now anonymous books took me on my first world tour and left me wanting more.

Adventure, leisure, learning, growing are some of the pleasures of travel, but what I most like about it is sharing anecdotes with others. That's what I hope to do with this blog. Every continent map links to stories about my travels there. Yes, I've been fortunate enough to visit or live in all seven continents. I wish there were seven more!

Let me take you with me. Enter these pages and view the world from my perspective. Then leave a comment. I want to hear your travel tales, too. To read tales of some of my travel joys, and quirky adventures, click on the continent maps above. Send comments and suggestions to: c.celeste@dslextreme.com. Please visit often for more posts about travel adventures.

Travel writing takes many forms. Especially dear to me is the personal tale, since I coach personal essay writing online. Not a travelogue, not a destination guide, personal writing shares the impressions, perspectives, emotions, loves and terrors of foreign places and getting there and back.

Learn more about writing personal travel and other tales at: Personal Essay Writing.

http://twitter.com/writingtoheal

No comments:

Post a Comment